Host a Screening
The Redford Center is making a copy of WATERSHED available for anyone interested in hosting a screening.
A screening of WATERSHED can: help raise awareness about the declining water supply from the Colorado River, get people of all ages engaged in conservation and inspire and re-energize those who are already involved.
Take a minute to fill out the event assessment below and read through the list of screening ideas to help determine the best program structure to meet your goals.
If you are an educator or work with an institution interested in using WATERSHED in an ongoing way, beyond hosting a community screening event, we ask that you purchase an educational DVD, which includes public performance rights and a Discussion and Action Guide. If cost is an issue, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in hosting a WATERSHED screening?
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Host a WATERSHED screening” and include the following information:
- Contact name, email and phone
- Hosting Organization name and website
- Event date and time
- Event venue and location
- Event description (150 words or less)
- Estimated head count
- Public Event or Private Event?
To request a review copy of WATERSHED, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “REVIEW COPY REQUEST.”
As with any event plan, it is important to get clear on the event goal(s), target your audience, assess the resources available to you, and consider timing and location. The list below is designed to help you get started building your plan.
- Goal (i.e. educate, organize, inspire conservation pledges and donations to the Water Trust to help buy back water rights desperately needed to restore the delta corridor and reconnect the river to the sea.
- Audience Make-up (who do you need in the room to achieve your goal(s)?)
- PR / Media (how are you going to attract your target audience?)
- Venue (consider capacity, location and ease of access for your target audience)
- Timing (if possible, consider timing your event to coincide with a public meeting, hearing, appeal, protest, or event related to protecting and restoring the Colorado River or other freshwater sources)
- MC / Speaker(s) / Panelists (depends on your screening format )
- Host(s) (make sure your event host appeals to your target audience, i.e. ask a local opinion leader, politician, or a well-respected group to host or co-host the event)
WATERSHED is a 55-minute documentary film that was made with the intention of raising awareness, inspiring action, and creating meaningful dialogue about how to overcome one of the greatest challenges to the future of the American West by embracing a new water ethic, opening new frontiers of conservation and cooperation and ultimately restoring the mighty Colorado’s abundance and its connection to the sea.
Below are some ideas of how and where to screen the film, given its length and its intention.
- Show the film in a movie theater followed by a briefing about the local water situation and/or a discussion panel (fill the panel with local leaders and experts on the issue, use local journalists as panel moderators)
- Have your mayor host a film screening event at city hall, the chamber of commerce or a community center (the film highlights and celebrates the leadership of one forward thinking Colorado mayor)
- Project the film on the side of a building in a high traffic public square or park and loop it for several hours (this will get the film in front of people who would never come to a screening or even hear about a screening of this type of film)
- Project the film on a mobile screen in a centrally located park and make it a free, community event (same outcome as the idea above)
- Screen the film at house party for local people who want to get organized
- Show the film as a special presentation before, after, or during a city council meeting or a rotary club meeting
- Screen the film at a temple or church as part of an adult education program
- Screen the film in a classroom, school auditorium, or university theater
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-26857175-2']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);